24. Unfertilized oocytes after intracytoplasmic sperm injection and women’s age
Nội dung chính của bài viết
This study assessed the characteristics of meiotic spindles in unfertilized oocytes following intracytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI) and their relationship with the women’s age. A total of 263 unfertilized oocytes were collected and were divided into 2 groups based on the age of the women. Meiotic spindles were stained and classified to identify causes of fertilization failure. Identified relationships between the spindle apparatus, causes of failed fertilization and the women’s age. The number of unfertilized oocytes and the rate of unfertilized oocytes per cycle were not significantly different between women aged 35 years and younger and those older than 35 years (3.6 ± 2.4 versus 2.6 ± 2.2 unfertilized oocytes, p=0.083; 22.0 ± 12.1% vs 21.8 ± 12.9% unfertilized oocytes per cycle, p=0.947). The rate of disarranged spindles in oocytes collected from women older than 35 years was significantly higher than that of women 35 years and younger (73.5 vs. 52.5%; OR = 2.50, CI = 1.23 – 5.07, p = 0.011). The main factor associated with the failure of oocytes to fertilize after ICSI was failed oocyte activation, and there was no statistically significant difference between the two age groups. The women’s age had a relationship with abnormal spindles.
Chi tiết bài viết
Failed oocyte fertilization, ICSI, meiotic spindle, women’s age
Tài liệu tham khảo
2. Palermo GD, O’Neill CL, Chow S, et al. Intracytoplasmic sperm injection: state of the art in humans. Reproduction. Dec 2017; 154(6): F93-F110. doi:10.1530/REP-17-0374.
3. Tan TY, Lau SK, Loh SF, Tan HH. Female ageing and reproductive outcome in assisted reproduction cycles. Singapore Med J. Jun 2014; 55(6): 305-9. doi:10.11622/smedj.2014081.
4. Moghadam ARE, Moghadam MT, Hemadi M, Saki G. Oocyte quality and aging. JBRA Assist Reprod. Jan 17 2022; 26(1): 105-122. doi:10.5935/1518-0557.20210026.
5. Luo HZ, GJ.; Hu, J. et al. Immunofluorescent study of Human MII oocytes failed to fertilize after IVF and ICSI. Journal of Reproduction and Contraception. 2010; 21(1): 9 - 15. doi:doi.org/10.1016/S1001-7844(10)60009-0.
6. De Santis L, Coticchio G, Paynter S, et al. Permeability of human oocytes to ethylene glycol and their survival and spindle configurations after slow cooling cryopreservation. Human reproduction. Oct 2007; 22(10): 2776-83. doi:10.1093/humrep/dem240.
7. Esfandiari N, Javed MH, Gotlieb L, Casper RF. Complete failed fertilization after intracytoplasmic sperm injection--analysis of 10 years’ data. Int J Fertil Womens Med. Jul-Aug 2005; 50(4): 187-92.
8. Wasielak-Politowska M, Kordowitzki P. Chromosome Segregation in the Oocyte: What Goes Wrong during Aging. Int J Mol Sci. Mar 7 2022; 23(5)doi: 10.3390/ijms23052880.
9. Yan J, Wu K, Tang R, Ding L, Chen ZJ. Effect of maternal age on the outcomes of in vitro fertilization and embryo transfer (IVF-ET). Sci China Life Sci. Aug 2012; 55(8): 694-8. doi:10.1007/s11427-012-4357-0.
10. Grondahl ML, Christiansen SL, Kesmodel US, et al. Effect of women’s age on embryo morphology, cleavage rate and competence-A multicenter cohort study. PLoS One. 2017; 12(4): e0172456. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0172456.
11. A LAM, Capuzzo M, Imbrogno MG, et al. The complex relationship between female age and embryo euploidy. Minerva Obstet Gynecol. Feb 2021; 73(1): 103-110. doi:10.23736/S2724-606X.20.04740-1.
12. Vagnini LD, Petersen CG, Renzi A, et al. Relationship between age and blastocyst chromosomal ploidy analyzed by noninvasive preimplantation genetic testing for aneuploidies (niPGT-A). JBRA Assist Reprod. Oct 6 2020; 24(4): 395-399. doi:10.5935/1518-0557.20200061.
13. Clift D, Schuh M. Restarting life: fertilization and the transition from meiosis to mitosis. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol. Sep 2013; 14(9): 549-62. doi:10.1038/nrm3643.
14. Grondahl ML, Yding Andersen C, Bogstad J, Nielsen FC, Meinertz H, Borup R. Gene expression profiles of single human mature oocytes in relation to age. Human reproduction. Apr 2010; 25(4): 957-68. doi:10.1093/humrep/deq014.