Nội dung chính của bài viết
Congenital chylous ascites is a rare disease that results from abnormal development of the intra-abdominal lymphatic system. No gold standard treatment has been described so far, however, a combination of medium–chain triglyceride based diet or total parenteral nutrition along with octreotide and abdominal paracentesis is considered as a conservative management. This treatment is often a challenge to physicians since chylous ascites is often refractory and result in malnutrition and immune deficiency because of the loss of proteins and lymphocytes. We report a four-month old boy with congenital chylous ascites who was refractory to medical treatment with prolonged bowel rest, total parenteral nutrition, octreotide and repeated paracentesis. The baby well responded to surgical treatment with application of fibrin glue on the surface area of the leak site and was discharged after 2 month of hospitalization. When following up the patient had no recurrence of the ascites and he was growing up normally.
Chi tiết bài viết
Congenital chylous ascites, Fibrin glue
Tài liệu tham khảo
2. Press OW, Press NO, Kaufman SD. Evaluation and management of chylous ascites. Ann Intern Med. 1982;96:358-364.
3. Qi H, Bu-jun G, Li-ming L, Zhi-yuan T, et al. Successful management of chylous ascites with total parenteral nutrition, somatostatin and fibrin glue. Chin Med J. 2007;120:1847-1849.
4. Mouravas V, Dede O, Hatziioannidis H et al. Diagnosis and management of congenital neonatal chylous ascites. Hippokratia. 2012;16(2):175-180.
5. Cochran W.J, Klish W.J, Brown M.R et al. Chylous ascites in infants and children: a case report and literature review. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 1985;4(4):668-673.
6. Cardenas A and Chopra S. Chylous ascites. Am J Gastroenterol. 2002;97(8):1896-1900.
7. Staats B.A, Ellefson R.D, Budahn L.L et al. The lipoprotein profile of chylous and nonchylous pleural effusions. Mayo Clin Proc. 1980;55(11):700-704.
8. Bhardwaj R, Vaziri H, Gautam A et al. Chylous Ascites: A Review of Pathogenesis, Diagnosis and Treatment. J Clin Transl Hepatol. 2018;6(1):105-113.
9. Fishman S.J, Burrows P.E, Upton J et al. Life-threatening anomalies of the thoracic duct: anatomic delineation dictates management. J Pediatr Surg. 2001;36(8):1269-1272.
10. Meinke A.H, 3rd, Estes N.C and Ernst C.B. Chylous ascites following abdominal aortic aneurysmectomy. Management with total parenteral hyperalimentation. Ann Surg. 1979;190(5):631-633.
11. Kassem R, Rajab A, Faiz A et al. Chylous ascites in an infant – Treated surgically with fibrin glue after failed medical treatment - A case report. Journal of Pediatric Surgery Case Reports. 2017;19:25-27.
12. Martinowitz U and Saltz R. Fibrin sealant. Curr Opin Hematol, 1996;3(5):395-402.
13. Antao B, Croaker D and Squire R. Successful management of congenital chyloperitoneum with fibrin glue. J Pediatr Surg. 2003;38(11):E7-8.