2. The effect of “Dong trung ha thao Sapa” hard capsules in the uterus of ovariectomized mice
Nội dung chính của bài viết
“Dong trung ha thao Sapa” (DTHT) capsules, prepared from Cordyceps militaris powder, are intended to be used in relieving menopausal signs and symptoms. The current study aimed to evaluate the estrogenic properties of DTHT capsules on experimental animals. Female mice from 6 to 8 weeks were used for the study. Mice were divided into the following groups: group I - normal control without being ovariectomized (saline-treated); group II to V were ovariectomized, group II (saline-treated); group III (Ethinyl estradiol-treated), group IV (low dose DTHT capsules) and group V (high dose DTHT capsules). The potential effect of DTHT capsules was evaluated by measuring both the wet and blotted uterus weights. The uterus was then fixed in 10% neutral buffered formalin, HE(Haematoxylin & Eosin) stained and examined histopathologically. The results suggest that DTHT capsules show estrogenic activity in ovariectomized mice by increasing wet uterus and blotted uterus weight and improving the uterus’s histology. DTHT capsules appear to be an effective therapeutic drug for the treatment of menopausal symptoms.
Chi tiết bài viết
DTHT capsules, Cordyceps militaris, menopausal, female mice, ovariectomized, Ethinyl estradiol
Tài liệu tham khảo
2. The NAMS 2017 Hormone Therapy Position Statement Advisory Panel. The 2017 hormone therapy position statement of The North American Menopause Society. Menopause N Y N. 2017; 24(7): 728-753.
3. Chang Y, Jeng KC, Huang KF, et al. Effect of Cordyceps militaris supplementation on sperm production, sperm motility and hormones in Sprague-Dawley rats. Am J Chin Med. 2008; 36(5): 849-859.
4. Won SY, Park EH. Anti-inflammatory and related pharmacological activities of cultured mycelia and fruiting bodies of Cordyceps militaris. J Ethnopharmacol. 2005; 96(3): 555-561.
5. OECD guideline for the testing of chemicals: Uterotrophic Bioassay in Rodents: A short-term screening test for oestrogenic properties. 2007.
6. Test No. 440: Uterotrophic Bioassay in Rodents: A short-term screening test for oestrogenic properties | OECD Guidelines for the Testing of Chemicals, Section 4: Health Effects | OECD iLibrary.
7. Zhang D wei, Wang Z lin, Qi W, Zhao G yue. The effects of Cordyceps sinensis phytoestrogen on estrogen deficiency-induced osteoporosis in ovariectomized rats. BMC Complement Altern Med. 2014; 14: 484.
8. Bulun SE, Lin Z, Imir G, et al. Regulation of aromatase expression in estrogen-responsive breast and uterine disease: from bench to treatment. Pharmacol Rev. 2005; 57(3): 359-383.
9. Huang BM, Hsiao KY, Chuang PC, Wu MH, Pan HA, Tsai SJ. Upregulation of steroidogenic enzymes and ovarian 17beta-estradiol in human granulosa-lutein cells by Cordyceps sinensis mycelium. Biol Reprod. 2004; 70(5): 1358-1364.
10. Wang J, Chen C, Jiang Z, Wang M, Jiang H, Zhang X. Protective effect of Cordyceps militaris extract against bisphenol A induced reproductive damage. Syst Biol Reprod Med. 2016; 62(4): 249-257.