17. Evaluation of the protective effect of agar-hp hard capsule for peptic ulcer in experimental animals
Nội dung chính của bài viết
Imbalance between exogenous damaging agents and protective factors in the gastro-duodenum tract can lead to peptic ulcer disease. Herbal medicines could be an effective treatment to human gastric ulcers. This study aimed to investigate the protective effect of AGAR-HP hard capsules on cysteamine-induced gastric-duodenal ulcers in experimental rats. The animals were divided into five treatment groups: Group 1 (control) and group 2 (model) were treated with distilled water, group 3 received esomeprazole at 10 mg/kg, group 4 received AGAR-HP at 0.074 g/kg, and group 5 received AGAR-HP at 0.221 g/kg. All the rats were treated for seven consecutive days. On day 7, peptic-duodenal ulcer were induced by oral cysteamine 400 mg/kg. The number of rats with the ulcer, the number of ulcers per rat, and the ulcer index of each group were recorded. Compared to group 2, AGAR-HP at high dose reduced the mean number of ulcers and the ulcer index under macroscopic and microscopic examinations. These parameters also decreased in the group of AGAR-HP low doses compared to the cysteamine control group. AGAR-HP hard capsules showed some protective effect on cysteamine-induced gastric ulcers in experimental rats.
Chi tiết bài viết
AGAR-HP, peptic ulcer, experimental animals
Tài liệu tham khảo
2. Kumadoh D, Archer MA, Yeboah GN, et al. A review on anti-peptic ulcer activities of medicinal plants used in the formulation of Enterica, Dyspepsia and NPK 500 capsules. Heliyon. 2021; 7(12): e08465. doi:10.1016/j.heliyon.2021.e08465.
3. Michelle Grayson. Traditional Asian medicine | Nature. 2011;480(7378). Accessed September 9, 2022. https://www.nature.com/articles/480S81a.
4. Wakodkar S, Shuddalwar A, Baheti D. Herbal Potentials for Treatment of Peptic Ulcers: A Review. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences Review and Research. 2021;68. doi:10.47583/ijpsrr.2021.v68i02.019.
5. Vajrabhaya L ongthong, Korsuwannawong S, Surarit R. Cytotoxic and the proliferative effect of cuttlefish bone on MC3T3-E1 osteoblast cell line. Eur J Dent. 2017; 11(4): 503-507. doi:10.4103/ejd.ejd_159_17.
6. Byeon S, Oh J, Lim JS, Lee JS, Kim JS. Protective Effects of Dioscorea batatas Flesh and Peel Extracts against Ethanol-Induced Gastric Ulcer in Mice. Nutrients. 2018; 10(11): 1680. doi:10.3390/nu10111680.
7. Li H, Qu Y, Zhang J, Zhang J, Gao W. Spasmolytic activity of Aquilariae Lignum Resinatum extract on gastrointestinal motility involves muscarinic receptors, calcium channels and NO release. Pharm Biol. 2018; 56(1): 559-566. doi:10.1080/13880209.2018.1492000.
8. Saranya P, Geetha A. Antiulcer activity of Andrographis paniculata (Burm.f.) wall. against cysteamine-induced duodenal ulcer in rats. Indian J Exp Biol. 2011; 49(7): 525-533.
9. Ahmed A. Elberry. Protective effect of sildenafil against cysteamine induced duodenal ulcer in Wistar rat. African Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology. 2013; 7(33): 2352-2357.
10. Rezvanjoo B, Rashidi S, Jouyban A, Beheshtiha SHS, Samini M. Effects of vitamin C and melatonin on cysteamine-induced duodenal ulcer in a cholestatic rat model: A controlled experimental study. Curr Ther Res Clin Exp. 2010; 71(5): 322-330. doi:10.1016/j.curtheres.2010.10.001.
11. Adinortey MB, Ansah C, Galyuon I, Nyarko A. In Vivo Models Used for Evaluation of Potential Antigastroduodenal Ulcer Agents. Ulcers. 2013; 2013:e796405. doi:10.1155/2013/796405.
12. Selye H, Szabo S. Experimental Model for Production of Perforating Duodenal Ulcers by Cysteamine in the Rat. Nature. 1973; 244(5416): 458-459. doi:10.1038/244458a0.
13. I. Szelenyi and K. Thiemer. Distention Ulcer as a Model for Testing of Drugs for Ulcerogenie Side Effeets. 1978; 41: 99-105.
14. Kirkegaard P, Poulsen SS, Halse C, Loud FB, Skov Olsen P, Christiansen J. The effect of cysteamine on the Brunner gland secretion in the rat. Scand J Gastroenterol. 1981; 16(1): 93-96.
15. Dogan E, Okumus Z. Cuttlebone used as a bone xenograft in bone healing. Veterinarni Medicina. 2014; 59: 254-260. doi:10.17221/7519-VETMED.
16. Qiu L, Yao L, Fang Y, et al. Effect of Cuttlebone on Healing of Indomethacin-Induced Acute Gastric Mucosal Lesions in Rats. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2020; 2020: 9592608. doi:10.1155/2020/9592608.
17. Park JS, Han K. Gastric Ulcer Healing Effects of Dioscorea japonica, Halloysite and Ostrea gigas Mixtures. Natural Product Sciences. 2009; 15(2): 96-100.
18. Zheng H, Gao J, Man S, Zhang J, Jin Z, Gao W. The protective effects of Aquilariae Lignum Resinatum extract on 5-Fuorouracil-induced intestinal mucositis in mice. Phytomedicine. 2019; 54: 308-317. doi:10.1016/j.phymed.2018.07.006.
19. Wang C, Peng D, Liu Y, Wu Y, Guo P, Wei J. Agarwood Alcohol Extract Protects against Gastric Ulcer by Inhibiting Oxidation and Inflammation. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2021; 2021: 9944685. doi:10.1155/2021/9944685.